Apache2 just listening to https?

John R. Owens jowens at ghiapet.homeip.net
Thu Jul 28 08:54:54 GMT 2005

Uzi Klein wrote:
> Roger Grosswiler wrote:
>> i did a file called virtual.conf in /usr/local/etc/apache2/Include with
>> this content:
>>
>> <VirtualHost *:80>
>> ServerName freebsd.domain.net
>> ServerAlias freebsd.domain.net
>> DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/data
>> </VirtualHost>
>>
>> ...which should be loaded on startup. Also, i activated
>>
>> NameVirtualHost *:80
>>
>> in httpd.conf - still no success...whats up here? firewall is open,
>> redirecting on router is well...but still no success...
>>
>> :-( Roger
>
> Try checking it using telnet:
>
> # telnet freebsd.domain.net 80
> GET / HTTP/1.1
> Host:freebsd.domain.net
>
> [ .. twice enter here .. ]
>
> and see if it gives you a clue
>
> -Uzi

Technically, to be HTTP/1.1 compliant, that should be:
# telnet freebsd.domain.net 80
GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: freebsd.domain.net
Connection: close
[ .. twice enter here .. ]

otherwise Apache should (I haven't tested, this is per the HTTP/1.1 RFC
2616) assume a persistent connection and leave you hanging after your
request until whatever time you have for your KeepAliveTimeout has passed.
Also, it would be simpler to do "HEAD / HTTP/1.1" etc., so you don't get
the content of your server root or its DirectoryIndex file. Just the
good stuff that tells you what you want to know about the server, if
it's responding on that port at all.

--
John R. Owens
ProofReading Markup Language: http://prml.sourceforge.net/