Quality of FreeBSD

John Merryweather Cooper john_m_cooper at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 25 15:36:03 GMT 2005

Igor Robul wrote:

> Karl Denninger wrote:
>
>> Ok, Robert, but then here's the question....
>>
>> How come the ATA code which was very stable in 4.x was screwed with in a
>> production release, breaking it, with no path backwards to the working
>> code?
>>

> I had not ANY problems with ATA on several mothersboards, both SMP and
> uniproc.

The VIA SATA onboard controller on my server works (and has worked)
flawlessly.  I have two identical 80G Maxtor SATA drives connected to it
and have had absolutely no problems and excellent performance.  Even my
Dell Inspirion 5100--with a few hiccups--has made great progress and is
mostly functional.

jmc