make -j as a stress test (was: Re: Quality of FreeBSD) [WARNING - 6.0-BETA1 still hosed!]

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jul 24 11:05:24 GMT 2005

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> At 12:00 AM 24/07/2005, Karl Denninger wrote:
>
>> Finally, any pointers on a 2 port PCI SATA board that (1) is KNOWN to
>> work, (2) has EXTERNAL SATA connections, and (3) isn't one of those
>> whiz-bang all-in-one-RAID thingies that costs $500?
>
> 3ware makes an excellent 2 port SATA card (8000 series) that works very
> well. Its about $110 USD from various online sources.  You can use it as
> RAID1 or 2 independent disks.  They work very well and are well tested
> in FreeBSD.

One of the things that makes 3ware a particularly encouraging choice is
that 3ware helps maintain their driver on FreeBSD, as well as putting it
through their own test environment with their hardware.  3ware's driver
developer also has a FreeBSD commit bit so that he can maintain it
directly.  The fact that vendors like 3ware and others (Intel, etc) get
directly involved in testing and maintaining their drivers on FreeBSD is
one of the things that gets them on my recommendation list for hardware
purchases.

Robert N M Watson