SMP support maturity? AMD64x2 or FX-57?

Adrian Wontroba aw1 at stade.co.uk
Sun Jul 24 06:53:52 GMT 2005

On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 01:27:30PM -0700, Frank Mayhar wrote:

> Personally I don't have the first clue what people have found to gripe
> about.  It has been good, it got a _lot_ better in 5.x, and it's continuing
> to improve.

I agree.

At work I have a couple of very old 4-way servers (one with Pentium
Pros, the other PIII Xeons), which run 5-STABLE happily with the stock
SMP kernel configuration.  Admittedly, there was a problem with SMP in
5.3-RELEASE, but that is long behind us.  With 5.4 it should work almost
out of the box (modulo a kernel build, and I seem to recall discussion
about including SMP kernels in future releases).

I can't comment about SMP on newer processors - I only get the cast offs
to recycle as something useful.

--
Adrian Wontroba