Quality of FreeBSD

Emanuel Strobl Emanuel.strobl at gmx.net
Fri Jul 22 19:44:44 GMT 2005

Am Donnerstag, 21. Juli 2005 22:06 CEST schrieb Matthias Buelow:
> pcasidy at casidy.com writes:
> >My main problem, and to others after seeing the question from times to
> >times, is to know which is a good (not necessarly the best) hardware to
> >run FreeBSD on?
> >When I buy a new motherboard, which chipset to choose/avoid, which
> > controllers ?
>
> Maybe some website like it is being done for notebooks (with
> Linux/FreeBSD support) would be in order. I'm thinking about something
> like http://www.linux-laptop.net/, only for FreeBSD and all kinds of
> machines, not just notebooks. (Or, if some collaboration would be ok,
> for *BSD in general, with people posting experience from NetBSD,
> OpenBSD, Dragonfly, even Darwin aswell. That way one could also compare
> support for hardware and see what problems the individual systems have.)
>
> Make it a Wiki, or something similar, where people can freely post
> experiences they have with their hardware. That could be whole machines
> (Dell model xxx desktop, IBM yyy laptop, HP zzz server) aswell as
> components (Asus blah motherboard, 3Com wlan card model foobar, etc.)
> and make the thing searchable, and perhaps allow one to post comments on
> entries (easy with a Wiki). That way people can quickly search & review
> hardware, awell as test suggested workarounds by the posters, without
> having to google for obscured mailing list entries, or problem reports.

Well, there are numerous great FreeBSD sites out there which assist in such
question, but I also like the idea of a purely hardware database site.
If nobody want's to extend his site I'd offer to start a new one, I have
spare capacity in both, my servers (if they go online, in some days I
hope) and my leased line, so I'd be glad to contribute something.
If anybody with wiki-experience wants to step in, you're welcome, I'm not
the big webmaster...
Maybe Eric Anderson wants to contribute his bsdhardware.org domain, or we
could name it hardware.freebsd.org
I'll be back when I have something online.

Best regards,

-Harry