Quality of FreeBSD

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jul 22 00:45:51 GMT 2005

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, Matthias Schuendehuette wrote:

> Am 21.07.2005 um 13:00 schrieb Robert Watson:
>>
>>   Have you tried, and do you plan to try, our 6.0 test releases before
>>   6.0-RELEASE goes out the door?  Specifically, on the hardware you know
>>   you're having problems with 5.4 on?
>
> Yes, I did - see the thread "mpt + gvinum on 6.0-BETA".
>
> But I'm a bit disappointed, that until now there's not *one* reply on my
> report.
>
> It's new hardware, which doesn't even boot with 5.3/5.4-RELEASE (but
> with 5.2.1 :-) and probably a more popular Server (FUJITSU-SIEMENS RX300
> S2)...
>
> what was my fault here? Should I post to -current instead?

I would post to -current about 6.x issues, as it's not yet considered a
-STABLE branch.  If it's an mpt problem, the likely contact is Scott Long
(scottl@), who most recently did cleanup and bug fixing of mpt (July 10).

Lukas Ertl (le@) is probably the starting contact of choice for gvinum
issues, although there's also a geom mailing list which might be a good
place to send e-mail.

It could, though, easily be an interrupt-related problem of some sort --
e-mail with Scott should hopefully quickly determine if it's the driver,
an interrupt problem, or a problem that should be in the hands of Lukas.

Robert N M Watson