Machine Replication

Andrea Campi andrea+freebsd_stable at webcom.it
Thu Jul 21 22:20:40 GMT 2005

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 03:04:01PM -0500, Dan Mack wrote:
> Is there a jumpstart (solaris), kickstart (redhat linux), roboinst (irix),
> or ignite (hpux) like auto-installer for BSD?
>
> If there was, then I wouldn't image the disk at all, I'd instead setup up
> custom network images that I could blast to any system just by pxebooting
> it.  I'm not sure if it is possible with FreeBSD though, anyone?

Well, sysinstall is perfectly capable of doing this, as it's fully
"scriptable". You can setup a pxeboot-install environment by setting up
a dhcp/tftp/nfs server, copying a standard release CD, and creating a
simple config file. I don't have exact details handy, but I know it's
possible as it's the way we've been pressing FreeBSD boxes at $REALJOB
for ages. You'll find plenty (well, some) of information in the archives
as well.

Bye,
	Andrea

--