Quality of FreeBSD

Matthias Buelow mkb at incubus.de
Thu Jul 21 20:07:14 GMT 2005

pcasidy at casidy.com writes:

>My main problem, and to others after seeing the question from times to
>times, is to know which is a good (not necessarly the best) hardware to
>run FreeBSD on?
>When I buy a new motherboard, which chipset to choose/avoid, which controllers
>?

Maybe some website like it is being done for notebooks (with
Linux/FreeBSD support) would be in order. I'm thinking about something
like http://www.linux-laptop.net/, only for FreeBSD and all kinds of
machines, not just notebooks. (Or, if some collaboration would be ok,
for *BSD in general, with people posting experience from NetBSD,
OpenBSD, Dragonfly, even Darwin aswell. That way one could also compare
support for hardware and see what problems the individual systems have.)

Make it a Wiki, or something similar, where people can freely post
experiences they have with their hardware. That could be whole machines
(Dell model xxx desktop, IBM yyy laptop, HP zzz server) aswell as
components (Asus blah motherboard, 3Com wlan card model foobar, etc.)
and make the thing searchable, and perhaps allow one to post comments on
entries (easy with a Wiki). That way people can quickly search & review
hardware, awell as test suggested workarounds by the posters, without
having to google for obscured mailing list entries, or problem reports.

mkb.