Machine Replication

Dan Mack mack at macktronics.com
Thu Jul 21 20:04:20 GMT 2005

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, Eli K. Breen wrote:

> All,
>
> Does anyone have a good handle on how to replicate (read: image) a freebsd
> machine from one machine to an ostensibly similar machine?
>
> So far I've used countless variations and combinations of the following:
>
> dd		(Slow, not usefull if the hardware isn't identical?)
> tar		(Doesn't replicate MBR)
> rsync		(No MBR support)
> Norton Ghost 	(Doesn't support UFS/UFS2?)
> G4U		(little experience with this)

<snip>

Is there a jumpstart (solaris), kickstart (redhat linux), roboinst (irix),
or ignite (hpux) like auto-installer for BSD?

If there was, then I wouldn't image the disk at all, I'd instead setup up
custom network images that I could blast to any system just by pxebooting
it.  I'm not sure if it is possible with FreeBSD though, anyone?

Dan