Machine Replication

Gary Mulder gmulder at infotechfl.com
Thu Jul 21 19:34:34 GMT 2005

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, Eli K. Breen wrote:

> All,
>
> Does anyone have a good handle on how to replicate (read: image) a
> freebsd machine from one machine to an ostensibly similar machine?
>
> So far I've used countless variations and combinations of the following:
>
> dd		(Slow, not usefull if the hardware isn't identical?)
> tar		(Doesn't replicate MBR)
> rsync		(No MBR support)
> Norton Ghost 	(Doesn't support UFS/UFS2?)
> G4U		(little experience with this)

Try dump and restore. They seem to be fast and reliable (although not
under Linux from all accounts).

I usually use "tar" and "disklabel -B /dev/XXX" out of habit, but have
found that tar doesn't honour the permissions on /tmp and /var/tmp. The
sticky bit is set on these two dirs, but the permissions are not set to
777. This has me wondering what other (dir) perms are not correctly set.

Gary