READ_DMA, WRITE_DMA errors

Steve news649 at powersystemsdirect.com
Thu Jul 21 16:19:09 GMT 2005

Robert Watson wrote:

> 6.0 contains a significant re-write and update of the ATA driver, and
> corrects a number of known problems with timeouts and reliability.
> This rewrite is available as patches against 5.x, but has not been
> committed because ATA is a very sensitive thing (lots of very diverse
> and very broken hardware), and has had insufficient testing.  If you
> have test hardware available that's not in production, it would be
> quite helpful if you could install 6.0-BETA2, once that comes out in
> the next week or so, and see if the specific ATA problems you're
> experiencing occur there. It's not impossible that the new ATA code
> will be merged to 5.x, but I think we cannot do that until it has seen
> a lot more exposure.  If you search back through the mailing archives,
> you should be able to find posts from Soren regarding the new ATA
> patches, if you want to give them a try on 5.x.

Yes, I will try and find those patches for 5, I do not have a free
machine that exhibits the problem, but, I do have my disk cloned so a
quick test of a patch should be simple and risk free over a weekend when
I have time to mess around.

If anyone has that link handy, please post. (for the patch)

Steve