Serious issue with serial console in 5.4

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jul 21 11:04:30 GMT 2005

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, Eirik Øverby wrote:

>> I've only seen the issue when logging out of a serial console session,
>> and had previously hypothesized that it had to do with the simultaneous
>> timing of a console message from syslog and the opening/closing of the
>> console's tty due to logging out and getty restarting, resulting in a
>> reference count improperly hitting zero.
>
> I did indeed make some changes to my syslog configuration after getting
> the serials online. Your theory might not be entirely off. Let me know
> if I should post my syslog.conf file or anything else here or
> elsewhere...

Since you appear to be able to reliably reproduce the problem (whereas I
was able to reproduce it only after several hours of quite active serial
console work), it would be quite interesting to answer the following
question:

   If you cause syslogd not to send any output to /dev/console, does the
   problem go away?

Thanks,

Robert N M Watson