gmirror, sparc and SCSI problems

Stephen Hock shock at cs.ucr.edu
Tue Jul 19 16:28:06 GMT 2005

On Jul 9, 2005, at 9:36 AM, Chris Hodgins wrote:

> Danny,
>
> Thanks for the link.  This was actually the first link we tried to get
> working and after it failed to work we followed the link on the page
> to http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/mirror/.
>
> Everything worked fine until we arrived at this step below.
> # mount /dev/mirror/gm0s1a /mnt
>
> It seems that gmirror does not give us any partitions.  A listing of
> the mirror directory shows only the gm0 node even though da0 is
> partitioned.  When mounting the mirror it seems that /dev/mirror/gm0
> only represents the root partition.  How can we get the mirror to
> recognise the other partitions?
>
> Thanks
> Chris

Chris,

Based on my experience, it doesn't work to partition the underlying
disk device da0, but rather the mirror device gm0. I've had a lot of
success writing out new labels with

# bsdlabel -w /dev/mirror/gm0
# bsdlabel -e /dev/mirror/gm0

Editing the partition table by hand is a bummer, but for now, since
mirror devices don't show up in fdisk/disklabel tools in /stand/
sysinstall, this is the only way I know of to do it.

-Stephen