Serious issue with serial console in 5.4

Eirik Øverby ltning at anduin.net
Mon Jul 18 09:59:01 GMT 2005

Hi,

I reported this before, but I am very surprised that it is still the
case:

(This is from the last time it happened; this time the box rebooted
and cleared the serial console before I had time to cut/paste it.
> cpuid = 1; apic id = 00
> fault virtual address   = 0x1c
> fault code              = supervisor write, page not present
> instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xc0620b5f
> stack pointer           = 0x10:0xdadbd988
> frame pointer           = 0x10:0xdadbd994
> code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
> current process         = 51999 (getty)
> trap number             = 12
> panic: page fault
> cpuid = 1
> boot() called on cpu#0
> Uptime: 66d11h24m50s

The above panic will show up occasionally when logging out from a
serial console (i.e. ctrl-D, logout, exit, whatever). This is
EXTREMELY BAD, as it will crash an otherwise perfectly healthy box at
random - and renders the serial console useless.

Robert Watson confirmed this to be an issue on the 10th of April.

Anyone??

/Eirik