Atapicam problems

John Van Sickle john.vansickle at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 15:58:58 GMT 2005

Hi,

After a day or two I keep losing my /dev/cd0 and /dev/cd1 devices. When this
happens I'm able to reboot and everything works again. By that I mean the
drives show up in /dev again and 'camcontrol devlist' lists them. I haven't
had any errors burning dvds/cds either. My log message gives me the
following info after I lose the drives:

atapicam0: timeout waiting for ATAPI ready
atapicam0: timeout waiting for ATAPI ready
atapicam0: timeout waiting for ATAPI ready
atapicam0: timeout waiting for ATAPI ready
atapicam0: timeout waiting for ATAPI ready
atapicam0: timeout waiting for ATAPI ready
(probe2:ata1:0:0:0): Lost target 0???

I noticed the problem about two or so weeks ago. I tried running 'camcontrol
rescan all' and 'camcontrol reset all' but it didn't help. I'd also like to
note that I don't have "atapicd" in my kernel or acpi enabled. Not sure if
that matters (hasn't in the past).

Thanks for your time.

uname -a
FreeBSD workstation.insightbb.com <http://workstation.insightbb.com>
5.4-STABLE FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE #0: Fri Jul 15 20:38:58 EDT 2005
root at workstation.insightbb.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SAMSON i386

camcontrol devlist
<Apple Co iPod 2700> at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,da0)
<_NEC DVD_RW ND-3540A 1.01> at scbus2 target 0 lun 0 (pass1,cd0)
<PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-106D 1.07> at scbus2 target 1 lun 0 (pass2,cd1)

dmesg | grep cd
cd0 at ata1 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
cd0: <_NEC DVD_RW ND-3540A 1.01> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device
cd0: 16.000MB/s transfers
cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present
cd1 at ata1 bus 0 target 1 lun 0
cd1: <PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-106D 1.07> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device
cd1: 16.000MB/s transfers
cd1: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present

info from 'pciconf -vl' on my ata chipset:
atapci0 at pci0:4:1: class=0x01018a card=0x00000000 chip=0x05711106 rev=0x06
hdr=0x00
vendor = 'VIA Technologies Inc'
device = 'VT82xxxx EIDE Controller (All VIA Chipsets)'
class = mass storage
subclass = ATA

kernel config:
machine i386
cpu I686_CPU
ident SAMSON

# To statically compile in device wiring instead of /boot/device.hints
#hints "GENERIC.hints" # Default places to look for devices.

options SCHED_4BSD # 4BSD scheduler
options INET # InterNETworking
options INET6 # IPv6 communications protocols
options FFS # Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options SOFTUPDATES # Enable FFS soft updates support
options UFS_ACL # Support for access control lists
options UFS_DIRHASH # Improve performance on big directories
options MD_ROOT # MD is a potential root device
options MSDOSFS # MSDOS Filesystem
options CD9660 # ISO 9660 Filesystem
options PROCFS # Process filesystem (requires PSEUDOFS)
options PSEUDOFS # Pseudo-filesystem framework
options GEOM_GPT # GUID Partition Tables.
options COMPAT_43 # Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options COMPAT_FREEBSD4 # Compatible with FreeBSD4
options KTRACE # ktrace(1) support
options SYSVSHM # SYSV-style shared memory
options SYSVMSG # SYSV-style message queues
options SYSVSEM # SYSV-style semaphores
options _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING # POSIX P1003_1B real-time extensions
options KBD_INSTALL_CDEV # install a CDEV entry in /dev
options ADAPTIVE_GIANT # Giant mutex is adaptive.

device apic # I/O APIC

# Bus support. Do not remove isa, even if you have no isa slots
device isa
device eisa
device pci

# Floppy drives
device fdc

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device ata
device atadisk # ATA disk drives
device atapifd # ATAPI floppy drives
options ATA_STATIC_ID # Static device numbering

# SCSI peripherals
device scbus # SCSI bus (required for SCSI)
device da # Direct Access (disks)
device sa # Sequential Access (tape etc)
device cd # CD
device pass # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
device atkbdc # AT keyboard controller
device psm # PS/2 mouse

device vga # VGA video card driver

device splash # Splash screen and screen saver support

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device sc

# Enable this for the pcvt (VT220 compatible) console driver
#device vt
#options XSERVER # support for X server on a vt console
#options FAT_CURSOR # start with block cursor

# Floating point support - do not disable.
device npx

# Power management support (see NOTES for more options)
#device apm
# Add suspend/resume support for the i8254.

# Parallel port
device ppbus # Parallel port bus (required)

# PCI Ethernet NICs that use the common MII bus controller code.
# NOTE: Be sure to keep the 'device miibus' line in order to use these NICs!
device miibus # MII bus support
device fxp # Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B (82557, 82558)

# Pseudo devices.
device loop # Network loopback
device mem # Memory and kernel memory devices
device io # I/O device
device random # Entropy device
device ether # Ethernet support
device tun # Packet tunnel.
device pty # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
device md # Memory "disks"
device gif # IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
device faith # IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying (translation)

# The `bpf' device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.
# Be aware of the administrative consequences of enabling this!
device bpf # Berkeley packet filter

# USB support
device uhci # UHCI PCI->USB interface
device usb # USB Bus (required)
#device udbp # USB Double Bulk Pipe devices
device ugen # Generic
device uhid # "Human Interface Devices"
device ulpt # Printer
device umass # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da
device ukbd # Keyboard

# FireWire support
device firewire # FireWire bus code
device sbp # SCSI over FireWire (Requires scbus and da)

# Custom
device sound
device "snd_emu10k1"
device atapicam