dangerous situation with shutdown process

Matthias Buelow mkb at incubus.de
Sat Jul 16 17:26:20 GMT 2005

Lowell Gilbert wrote:

>Well, break it down a little bit.  If an ATA drive properly implements
>the cache flush command, then none of the ongoing discussion is

Are you sure this is the case? Are there sequence points in softupdates
where it issues a flush request and by this guarantees fs integrity?
I've read thru McKusick's paper in search for an answer but haven't
found any. All I've read so far on mailing lists and from googling
was that softupdates doesn't work if the wb-cache is enabled.

mkb.