HELP --a question on LOCALE

Li Ruijiang lithium7456 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 15 15:19:54 GMT 2005

I am a chinese user,and today I upgraded my FreeBSD system from 5.3 release
to 6.0
all is successful except that I can not input chinese.
The XIM needs two environment variables:LANG and LC_ALL
so I export them to zh_CN.GBK in my .xinitrc file
when the X was started I tested it using "echo $LANG"and "echo $LC_ALL".I
got the right response.

But when when I type "locale", I got a response like this:
  LANG=zh_CN.GBK
  LC_CTYPE="C"
  LC_COLLATE="C"
  LC_TIME="C"
  LC_NUMERIC="C"
  LC_MONETARY="C"
  LC_MESSAGES="C"
  LC_ALL=zh_CN.GBK

So LC_CTYPE and LC_* were not modified

then I "export LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.GBK"
when I "echo $LC_CTYPE" it said "zh_CN.GBK"
when I "locale" the result did not change at all.

I have installed "localedata-5.4" and set PATH_LOCALE
when I "locale -a"
the result contains zh_CN.GBK

What should I do???
Thank you very much.