dangerous situation with shutdown process

Matthias Buelow mkb at incubus.de
Fri Jul 15 19:14:03 GMT 2005

John-Mark Gurney wrote:

>With non-written to sectors getting trashed with the cache enabled,
>barriers don't mean squat...

Of course if you pound the disk with a hammer, then barriers also
won't help. Just because with a few disks perhaps it won't work at
all doesn't mean that one shouldn't at least try and get it working
for perhaps the 90% where it would work in order to reduce the
possibility of corruption by as much as possible. I mean, anything
is better than the current situation where apparently nothing is
done at all.

Why am I arguing in an uphill battle here? Is data safety no longer
important to the FreeBSD community? Such issues should not even
have to be discussed at all!

mkb.