FreeBSD 6.0-BETA1 Available

Yann Golanski yann at kierun.org
Fri Jul 15 15:27:46 GMT 2005

Quoth Scott Long on Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 09:18:50 -0600
> Part of the purpose of moving quickly on to RELENG_6 is so that the
> migration work for users from 5.x to 6.x is very small.  6.x is really
> just an evolutionary step from 5.x, not the life-altering revolutionary
> step that 4.x->5.x was.  It should be quite easy to deploy and maintain
> 5.x and 6.x machines side-by-side and migrate them as the need arises.
> We don't want people to be stranded on RELENG_5 like they were with
> RELENG_4.  6.x offers everything of 5.x, but with better performance
> and (hopefully) better stability.  If you're thinking about evaluating
> 5.x, give 6.0 a try also.

Does that mean that a cvsup with "*default tag=RELENG_6" and a rebuilt
of the world will work smoothly?  Would it work at all?  Is it even
recommended?

I suspect that re-compiling every port is a good idea after making the
world in any case.

--
yann at kierun.org                  -=*=-                      www.kierun.org
    PGP:   009D 7287 C4A7 FD4F 1680  06E4 F751 7006 9DE2 6318