FreeBSD 6.0-BETA1 Available

Colin Percival cperciva at freebsd.org
Fri Jul 15 15:12:12 GMT 2005

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> And, for "the stupid question of the day" ... how long before 5.x is no
> longer supported?

The FreeBSD Security Team will support FreeBSD 5.x until at least the end
of September 2007.  Support from other teams and the ports tree may end
sooner, but since there aren't very large differences between 5.x and 6.x
I doubt there will be many problems.

>  I'm just about to deploy a new server, and was
> *going* to go with 5.x, but would I be better just skipping 5.x
> altogether?  Or are there such drastic changes in 6.x that doing so at
> this time wouldn't be prudent?

If I was deploying a new server today, I'd install FreeBSD 5.4.  If I were
planning on installing a new server next month, I'd install FreeBSD
6.0-BETA-whatever-number-we're-up-to-by-then.

Colin Percival