GEOM_STRIPE Problems on Reboot

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Thu Jul 14 13:45:58 GMT 2005

On 7/14/2005 5:30 AM Giovanni P. Tirloni wrote:

> Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>
>> GEOM_STRIPE: Device data created (id=896603271).
>> GEOM_STRIPE: Disk da0d attached to data.
>> GEOM_STRIPE: Disk da1d attached to data.
>> GEOM_STRIPE: Device data activated.
>> GEOM_STRIPE: Cannot add disk da0s1d to data (error=17).
>> GEOM_STRIPE: Cannot add disk da1s1d to data (error=17).
>> Mounting root from ufs:/dev/da0s1a
>>
>> Then the machine comes up in single user mode.  At this point if I
>> unload and reload geom_stripe, then the volume is created just fine
>> and I can boot the system in full production mode.  Any ideas on why
>> I'm seeing this behavior?  How can I fix it so that my machine
>> reboots without incident?
>

>  It looks like it's trying to add both disks again. I'd try to clean
> the metadata (gstripe clear from a fixit cdrom) and recreate it but I
> might be wrong.

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, now I see that it *DOES* look like it's
trying to add it twice.  I haven't tried cleaning the metadata as you
suggest because I don't want to lose data on the drive if I can avoid
it.  Would your suggestion wipe the drive?

Also, I wonder if the metadata is really bad?  It works just fine if I
kldunload and kldload the module.  I ask because I would think that if
the metadata were bad, I would get this error every time I created the
stripe.

So where in the boot sequence is GEOM_STRIPE loaded?  I'm starting to
suspect it's being loaded twice.  I have it in /boot/loader.conf which
is where I thought it should be.  Is there anywhere else to check?

Thanks,

Drew

--
Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse