AMD64 + Nvidia Display Card

David Adam zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jul 13 14:56:36 GMT 2005

Brett,

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Brett Wildermoth wrote:
> I assume I am not the only one who is in this predicament. I have just bought
> seven AMD 64s with NVIDIA PCI-X graphics. With 5.4 I can get everything bar
> the network and X to work, with 6.0 I can get the network to work also.
> However no matter what I do I can't get X to work.
>
> Why doesn't NVIDIA make a graphics driver for FreeBSD AMD64. They make one for
> Linux x86-64 and one for FreeBSD-x86.

I don't have an AMD64, but I can understand your frustration - I'm sure
there are many others in the same boat (or who will be soon).

I assume part of the reason is that it just adds an extra QA load to their
Linux/FreeBSD team - although NVIDIA's stuff seems to be fairly portable,
it's yet another architecture to get hardware for, test and build for, and
so on.

Hopefully, a bit of community pressure will encourage NVIDIA to provide
the resources that you need - I know that I continue to buy their cards
for my (rather inconsequential) uses because of their excellent FreeBSD
support (in some cases, I've got higher FPS under FreeBSD than Windows).

Cheers,

David Adam
zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au