tcp troughput weirdness

Alexis Yushin alexis at ww.net
Tue Jul 12 13:11:56 GMT 2005

Hmm,

Recently I've also been seeing less than what I'd expect tcp throughput
on FreeBSD 5.4R machines. I've got six 5.4R boxes with dual Gigabit em
interfaces. netperf gives me:

Recv   Send    Send
Socket Socket  Message  Elapsed
Size   Size    Size     Time     Throughput
bytes  bytes   bytes    secs.    10^6bits/sec

 65536 131072 131072    10.01     551.10

However scp/ftp etc doen't go above 200Mbit. I'd expect higher numbers?

Alexis

ps I've tried all of the sysctl and mtu tweakings... No change. Interesting
is that netperf  lo0 gives me about 2.5Gbit, but scp performs at about 128Mbit
while system CPU load is only 20%. What shall I tweak further?