tcp troughput weirdness

Danny Braniss danny at cs.huji.ac.il
Tue Jul 12 09:21:26 GMT 2005

> > > Are the window sizes on Linux bigger or smaller?
>
> > TCP window size: 16.0 KByte (default)
> > smaller :-(, but increasing it does not make any change
>
> Hmmm... Various things that you could try (I'd try them
> one by on, rather than all together):
>
> 1) sysctl net.inet.tcp.inflight_enable=0
>
> 2) sysctl net.inet.tcp.sendspace=131072
>    sysctl net.inet.tcp.recvspace=131072
>
> 3) sysctl net.inet.tcp.sack.enable=0

> I'd be interested to know if any of them make much difference.

combining
	sysctl net.inet.tcp.sendspace=131072
and
	sysctl net.inet.tcp.inflight.enable=0

did the trick! now can someone remind me what inflight does? and could
someone explain why increasing sendspace alone did not do the trick?
(i had it at 64k, which got things better, but not sufficient).

thanks!