SATA support in 5.x ... ?

Guy Helmer ghelmer at palisadesys.com
Thu Jul 7 15:49:43 GMT 2005

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> How stable is it right now?  I was talking with a friend yesterday
> about it, and he mentioned something about 3 re-write of the code over
> 2 releases, and that each one wasn't backwards compatible with the
> other, so you ended up with corrupted file systems ...
>
> I'm looking at upgrading my only SATA server to 5.x, since the 4.x
> that is currently running on it is getting hangs whenever load is put
> onto the drives :(

It's working fine on our basic h/w platform (Supermicro P4SCE w/ Intel
ICH5 SATA controller, single WD 80G drive) under FreeBSD 5.3 and 5.4.  I
don't understand the claim that there isn't backward compatibility,
unless that refers to the continually improving ATA RAID support as
Søren keeps working on the driver.

Guy

--
Guy Helmer, Ph.D.