SCSI troubles

Ade Lovett ade at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jul 6 07:30:14 GMT 2005

Niki Denev wrote:
> From what i understand this is not exactly a FreeBSD problem, but rather
> a consequence of U320 being really hard on the hardware with pushing it
> to the limits.

Incorrect.  The relevant parts of the output you pasted are:

	ahd
	Seagate drives

Attaching more than one Seagate drive to a single Adaptec chain will
result in various weird and wonderful behavior as you've described.

This is above and beyond well known (and documented) issues with data
loss and corruption with certain firmware revisions on Seagate drives.

You have essentially two options:

(1) disable the (on-board) adaptec controller, and use something else
(LSI cards work pretty good)

(2) chunk the Seagate drives, and replace them with some other vendor
(Hitachi, for example, in our high-stress environments, show equivalent
MTBFs)

I've spent several years (no, I'm not kidding) going around the loop
between Adaptec, Seagate, and various motherboard manufacturers, trying
to get sensible U320 performance out of the hardware.  Each vendor
blames the other.

Now, I'm a tenacious person by nature (guess it's part of being
English), and I have no intention of letting this just go until I hear
some real, valid, reasons as to the interoperability issues (are you
listening Seagate?)

However, in the meantime, if you don't want to cripple those expensive
U320 drives by dropping the controller to U160 for each and every
device, I strongly recommend either option (1) or (2) above, and move on.

-aDe