SATA Problems - ATA_Identify timeout ERROR - using Tyan S5350 with FreeBSD 5.4

Tony Byrne freebsd-current at byrnehq.com
Fri Jul 1 10:29:00 GMT 2005

Hello Alan,

AJ> There have been a number of comments and queries about ATA problems and SATA
AJ> problems with 5.4 but no views as to if this is a real problem.

I have to agree. I've had nothing but trouble with various Intel
boards with Intel ICH5 controllers and SATA hard disks under FreeBSD
and yet the problem either doesn't seem to be widespread and isn't
recognized by the community in general. I find that strange since the
ICH5 must be common in the field along with SATA disks from Western
Digital. I would have believed faulty hardware to be the cause, but I
have *three* machines that are capable of generating DMA TIMEOUTs
while reading or writing SATA disks.

Regards,

Tony.

--