Size of metadata required for GBDE

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Sun Jan 30 14:24:40 PST 2005

In message <20050130221803.GB2600 at galgenberg.net>, Ulrich Spoerlein writes:

>Hi all,
>
>I just fiddled around with using GBDE for ISO images (it works) and
>stumbled across the need to "guess" the size required for the GBDE
>container.
>
>Looks like the size is not increasing linearly. Here are the numbers of
>512 byte blocks available in md0 and md0.bde
>  md0 | md0.bde | diff.
> 2048    1952       96
> 4096    3936      160
> 8192    7936      256
>16384   15872      512
>32768   31744     1024
>65536   63520     2016
>
>So, what's the correct formula?

First off, if you want to use gbde on a CDROM you should use a sectorsize
of 2048 througout (-S 2048 argument to mdconfig).

The amount of metadata in GBDE is pretty straight forward:

1.	If do not use off-line keyfiles:  deduct one sector.

2.	Deduct the key sectors (1 to 4)

3.	Find zone size:

		nsect = sectorsize / 16
		nzone = nsect + 1