[HEADS UP] perl symlinks in /usr/bin will be gone

Chris Doherty chris-freebsd at randomcamel.net
Sun Jan 30 08:54:00 PST 2005

On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 09:24:25PM +0100, Anton Berezin said:
> In practical terms this will mean a one-time sweep of your scripts in
> order to convert them, in a typical case, from #! /usr/bin/perl to
> #! /usr/local/bin/perl.

options under discussion:

1) break *millions* of pieces of Perl software, plenty of it run by people
   unable or uninterested in modifying every last little corner of it
   (even with an automated find/replace, which is guaranteed to break
   *something*, and if I were them I would just switch to Debian at that
   point), so the FreeBSD's /usr/bin can have one less symlink by default.

2) respect the way the world actually is, and just leave the symlink in place.

#1 does more than violate POLA; it's more akin to renaming /bin/cp to
/bin/copy, in the name of progress, and saying everyone should just update
their code. it's not clear to me how #1 is a serious choice.

chris