[HEADS UP] perl symlinks in /usr/bin will be gone

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Sun Jan 30 02:54:26 PST 2005

On Sun, Jan 30, 2005 at 05:31:21AM -0500, Chuck Swiger wrote:

> I do want scripts to use a portable mechanism to invoke Perl regardless of
> where the binary happens to be found, but if people are determined to do
> otherwise, well, that's up to them.  One solution for those people might be
> to install the Perl port with a $PREFIX of /usr rather than /usr/local.

And I want a pony :-)

In other words, it's an impossible dream to hope that all scripts will
conform to this or any of the other possible choices (remember the
perl motto).  Even making everything perl in the ports collection use
a uniform style is probably an infeasible task (recall 840 ports use
/usr/bin/perl, and that's not counting the others that use another
hardcoded variant of /usr/local/bin/perl).

Kris