[HEADS UP] perl symlinks in /usr/bin will be gone

Lars Erik Gullerud lerik at nolink.net
Sat Jan 29 20:23:19 PST 2005

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005, Anton Berezin wrote:

> Unless I hear too many cries "don't do that" (with justification), I
> plan to not create any perl symlinks in /usr/bin in the forthcoming
> upgrade of both lang/perl5.8 (to 5.8.6) and lang/perl5 (to 5.6.2).  This
> will ONLY be true for FreeBSD 5.X and FreeBSD CURRENT;  the existing
> pollution of /usr/bin will still be performed for older versions of
> FreeBSD, if requested via use.perl script.
>
> In practical terms this will mean a one-time sweep of your scripts in
> order to convert them, in a typical case, from #! /usr/bin/perl to
> #! /usr/local/bin/perl.

No, in practical terms this does not mean a one-time sweep at all. It
means we now have to manually create this symlink on all machines
instead. There is simply no realistic way to change all scripts to use
/usr/local/bin/perl (and keep finding/replacing this for all new scripts
users may install - they usually don't come from the ports collection) -
while this may be doable on a single user's local workstation, it is just
not doable in places like an ISP environment, and no doubt many others.

So then we'll be forced to create this symlink manually anyway, on all
servers, probably for all eternity, and face the screaming users
everytime someone forgets it on one. It also goes against what every
other platform does with regards to perl, and it is IMHO a big POLA
violation.

So please - "don't do that". :(

/leg