Linking problems with gcc 3.4.2 and glibc on 5.3-stable

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Thu Jan 27 00:17:40 PST 2005

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 07:42:11AM +0000, Chris wrote:
> Well it started out with me getting a complaint from a user on my
> server saying he couldnt compile psybnc since I upgraded to 5.3 I told
> him I would investigate when I get time, I then found out later that
> ezbounce also failed (i use ezbounce) on 5.3, but my binary which was
> backed up from when I compiled on 5.2.1 works fine.  I also heard from
> many friends on irc that psybnc doesnt work with 5.3 so obviously the
> problem is wide spread and it was one reason why a lot of shell
> companies were not upgrading from 4.x yet.  I then decided to try
> psybnc myself and this is what happens using gcc 3.4.2 bundled with
> 5.3.
>
> Initializing bouncer compilation
> [*] Running Conversion Tool for older psyBNC Data.
> tools/convconf.c: In function `cofile':
> tools/convconf.c:81: error: label at end of compound statement
> *** Error code 1

That's a source code bug, of course, not a gcc bug.  Do try to get
your accusations straight.

The ezbounce port compiles fine on 5.3:

http://pointyhat.freebsd.org/errorlogs/i386-5-full-logs/ezbounce-1.04.b.log.bz2

The psybnc port is not compilable automatically since it's
interactive, so this problem has not been detected by the automated
builds.  You should raise it with the psybnc port maintainer or the
software developers.

Kris