watchdogd panic when shutdown -p

Emanuel Strobl emanuel.strobl at gmx.net
Mon Jan 24 10:44:15 PST 2005

Am Montag, 24. Januar 2005 19:29 schrieb Vivek Khera:
> On Jan 24, 2005, at 3:11 AM, Emanuel Strobl wrote:
> > kernel will reset the machine. Best would be if I never see watchdog in
> > action but I'm seeing a panic message after some interrupt statistics
> > (see
> > below) and the machine doesn't power off (like it does without
> > watchdogd
> > enabled).
>
> Interesting... Can you compare your experience with mine as described
> in PR 71800?

Hmm, I don't have the problem when rebooting, just when shutting down with
power off. I also have never seen any loop as you describe.

> I hadn't attributed this to the watchdog.  I'll try that, but I have
> two boxes with watchdog enabled (FreeBSD 5.3 and 5.2.1) which don't
> exhibit any failure to shutdown, and I have two boxes with 5.3 that do
> exhibit (one ever since 5.3 BETA) the kernel IRQ messages on any type
> of shutdown.  All have the watchdog on.

I think it's a ACPI interaction problem with watchdog, so depending on your
motherborads ACPI implementation you see the error or not, but I'm completely
new to SW_WATCHDOG so I can't tell much when and why these irq statistics are
generated.
Maybe Sean Kelly can tell us how SW_WATCHDOG interacts with ACPI, since I
think the problem occurs when the kernel disables ACPI, right? (just my
"feeling")

-Harry