sometimes 5.3-RELEASE-p5 is stuck at the last steps of shutdown

Rostislav Krasny rosti_bsd at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 24 03:22:07 PST 2005

Hello all.

I use FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p5 on i386. Sometimes my system is stuck at the
last steps of shutdown. Following quoting is what I saw yesterday when my
system was stuck again (the last lines):

init: some processes would not die; ps axl advised
Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `vnlru' to stop... done
Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `bufdaemon' to stop... done
Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process `syncer' to stop...
Syncing disks, vnodes remaining... 2 1 0 0 0 done
No buffers busy after final sync

I've experienced such system stucks after short and also not so short
uptimes. I don't know how to reproduce it for sure. Before that specific
shutdown I ran Xorg 6.8.1 with KDE 3.3.2 but then I quit KDE, quit X and
logged out. I don't use either xdm nor kdm.

On the next boot '/', '/tmp' and '/usr' were declared as not properly
dismounted.

How could the shutdown processing be fixed so it will never stuck?