correct value for LANG variable

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Sat Jan 22 09:09:37 PST 2005

On Saturday, 22. January 2005 16:52, Björn König wrote:
> I am a bit confused. Neither de_DE.ISO-8859-1 nor
> de_DE.ISO8859-1 work properly in all cases.
>
>  > setenv LANG de_DE.ISO8859-1
>  > echo abcdef uvwxyz | tr '[a-z]' '[A-Z]'
>
> ABCDEF ÚWXYÝ]

This is the correct locale name, but don't use tr like that, you can't rely on
that to work correctly with charsets which aren't symmetric in
lower&uppercase characters (it used to work at some point for the ISO8859-1
[5] locales but ceased after a POSIX related modification to tr).

Use tr [:lower:] [:upper:] instead.

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org