correct value for LANG variable

Björn König bkoenig at cs.tu-berlin.de
Sat Jan 22 07:52:24 PST 2005

I am a bit confused. Neither de_DE.ISO-8859-1 nor
de_DE.ISO8859-1 work properly in all cases.

 > setenv LANG de_DE.ISO8859-1
 > echo abcdef uvwxyz | tr '[a-z]' '[A-Z]'
ABCDEF ÚWXYÝ]

 > setenv LANG de_DE.ISO-8859-1
 > echo abcdef uvwxyz | tr '[a-z]' '[A-Z]'
ABCDEF UVWXYZ
 > perl
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
[lot of indignation about locale settings]

I am suspicious that de_DE.UTF-8 would work correct
with most software. Is it the only solution to don't
use localization currently at all or should it be my
ambition to fix this? What should be the correct
value? I would prefer the notation "ISO-8859-1", but
even the almighty perl does not.

Regards Björn