Failure on today's CVS (stable, AMD)

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Wed Jan 19 19:19:50 PST 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Michael R. Wayne wrote:

> CVS today.  Dual Opteron running
>    5.3-STABLE #3: Tue Nov 30 01:44:05 EST 2004
>
> Following the instructions in UPDATING, I get the following,
> indicating a bad kernel.  2 questions:
>
> 1) Is this a known, corrected issue as of today?  I ran another
>    CVSUP and did not see any changed to src.

Looks like your SCSi controller stopped probing. You'll need to look at
the dmesg more closely to identify why.

> 2) More importantly, I recovered by loading /boot/kernel.old/kernel
>    and the box is up BUT I am concerned that the NEXT time that I
>    do "make installkernel" I'll stomp on kernel.old losing this fallback
>    procedure.  I can certainly copy /boot/kernel.old to /boot/kernel.save
>    but is there something else I should save?  Or is there another
>    suggested procedure?

You can use "make reinstallkernel", which will just spam over the current
one without rotating it.  I'd make the backup anyway in case you screw up;
its also nice to keep a known working kenrel around Just In Case.