poor sound quality in 5.3 stable

Ronald Klop ronald-freebsd8 at klop.yi.org
Tue Jan 18 15:19:47 PST 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 00:03:20 +0100, Olivier Certner
<olivier.certner at free.fr> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
>  Do you mean that the sound seems unclear all the time?
>
>  I've also had some problems with sound on my FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE, but a
> different kind of. Sometimes I hear crakings while playing mp3 files with
> XMMS, although my computer's load is very low. I use "snd_emu10k1" sound
> module as you do with a Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1.
>
>  There is another driver that may be worth trying here:
> http://chibis.persons.gfk.ru/audigy/. I'll give it a pick when I get more
> time.

I have problems also with sb live. There was discussion before that
increasing some buffer in the driver made the problem less. And enabling
PREEMPTION would help also.
But since the last discussion I got my onboard audio (ESS) working, which
is ok for me.
I also wondered that the snd_emu10k1 is marked as MPSAFE, while other
sound drivers aren't, but the others perform better. But I don't know if
it has anything to do with it.
Search the archives for more discussion about this.

Ronald.

--
  Ronald Klop, Amsterdam, The Netherlands