System crashes... what now?

ImobachGonzález Sosa imobachgs at banot.net
Mon Jan 17 12:25:11 PST 2005

Hi all,

I'm a newbie in the FreeBSD thing, and I'm having some problems that I'd like
to track down as far as possible. In four days using FreeBSD, my machine has
crashed two times, ugh!

a) first time, with 5.3-RELEASE. Nothing changed about the kernel or base
system. Just I leave the system alone compiling some stuff (like X.org) all
night and, next day, the system has been crashed: no video output and no
response to keyboard nor network.

b) the second one, this morning with 5.3-STABLE. It was downloading libxslt
and, at 13 percent, the system went frozen.

My question is: after the system has crashed, what can I do? I mean, where can
I look for clues about what happened? Log files shows nothing about the
incidents, and I'd like to have a clue about what's wrong with FreeBSD and my
machine.

Ideas?

Thank you in advance.

--