cannot su?

Ivan Voras ivoras at fer.hr
Mon Jan 17 06:53:25 PST 2005

Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> On Sunday, 16. January 2005 01:07, Ivan Voras wrote:
>
>>What could be the reasons for "su root" to not work?
>>
>>I have a user that's in wheel group. Logging in as root works on the
>>console, but su-ing from the user just writes 'Sorry', like the
>>password's wrong. There are no clues in log files.
>

> Make sure /usr/sbin/su is suid root (and /usr isn't mounted nosuid).

Bingo!

It's stupid of me not to have checked that, but this is a very good
candidate for more information/verbosity - failure mode was just like
password/credentials were invalid.

I installed the computer from the FreeSBIE live CD, as it already
includes a bunch of desktop & multimedia programs I use, and during
installation it seems that suid bits were not replicated!

Thanks for the help!