CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe problems in RELENG_5 ?

Matthias Buelow mkb at incubus.de
Thu Jan 13 16:30:39 PST 2005

Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:

>>CPUTYPE=i686
>>KERNCONF=recycle
>>CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe
>>COPTFLAGS=-O2 -pipe
>>NO_MODULES=true    # do not build modules with the kernel
>>MODULES_WITH_WORLD=true # do not build modules when building kernel
>
> I'm using -Os -pipe ever since installing 5.x after the gcc update.
> Haven't encountered any problem so far..

I think the problem is more the CPUTYPE.  I've trashed a 5.2
installation by rebuilding all with CPUTYPE=athlon, and when I build
with i686 on a p4 system with 5.3-stable, netstat won't show Internet
connections anymore (only Unix domain), and who knows what else fails.
Seems like gcc is pretty buggy when you use non-default settings.

mkb.