ports directories are broken again?

Joe Rhett jrhett at meer.net
Tue Jan 4 14:30:21 PST 2005

On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 05:22:00PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> It provides a link to where the package would be if it exists.  The
> web frontend has no knowledge of which packages are available at any
> given point in time because this set fluctuates on a daily basis, so
> the frontend is always going to have windows where it's out of date
> with respect to what's on the ftp site.

I'm sorry, but clue me in here.  You are saying that the online database of
ports has no idea what is in the ports tree?

We're not talking about "daily" or "hourly" fluctuation.  We're talking
about a package that "hasn't been available for years" for a version of the
operating system that is less than 6 months old.

> One could imagine changing this with some hard work, or at least
> improving the documentation, but that's how things are today.  You're
> welcome to submit a PR with your suggestion on how to change the
> documentation to annotate this.

It's not a documentation issue, it's an accuracy issue.  Is there a port or
not?  Is there a package for the port, or not?

--
Joe Rhett
Senior Geek