fsck: broken file system with background check remains broken after bootup

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Jan 4 05:01:25 PST 2005

Rob <spamrefuse at yahoo.com> wrote:
 > [...]
 > However, the main user of this particular PC is not at all a guru; on 4.10
 > I had rc.conf configured such that at bootup all filesystems would be
 > automatically fixed with: fsck_y_enable="YES".
 > With 4.10, this always worked nicely, whatever sudden power cut have happened.
 >
 > However, with 5.3, a recent powercut crippled  the /usr filesystem such that
 > X11 hanged. The user of this PC was convinced that FreeBSD was infected by a
 > virus :(.

I would strongly advise you to teach that user to properly
shut down the machine instead of just pressing the power
button, thus eliminating the real cause of the problem.
(If you're suffering from frequent power outages, then a
UPS should be installed.)

By the way, you can map a key combination (Ctrl-Alt-Del or
using kbdcontrol, so it's very easy and intuitive to shut
down the machine properly.  See the kbdmap(5) manpage for
details.

Apart from that, I suggest you simply disable background
fsck.

Best regards
   Oliver

We're sysadmins.  To us, data is a protocol-overhead.