Strange networking problems after update 5.2.1->5.3

Peter Jeremy PeterJeremy at optushome.com.au
Mon Jan 3 11:30:31 PST 2005

On Mon, 2005-Jan-03 15:58:26 +0100, Gerrit Kühn wrote:
>ed0: flags=108843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>	inet 130.75.117.37 netmask 0xffff0000 broadcast 130.75.255.255
>	ether 01:d4:ff:03:00:20

That's a multicast MAC address (the LSB of the first byte is 1).  More
intelligent NICs will have an internal list of multicast MAC addresses
that they have been programmed to respond to and will ignore all other
multicast addresses (for dumber NICs, this checking should be in the
driver).  This would explain the peculiar behaviour you are seeing.

Firstly, I presume you're not attempting to change the MAC address.

Secondly, the MAC address should be reported as part of the ed0 probe
message - can you have a look back through your messages file and
report the ed0 probe messages for both 5.2.1 and 5.3.

--
Peter Jeremy