5.3 on IBM/Intel Blade server?

Paul Dlug paul at aps.org
Fri Feb 11 11:41:31 PST 2005

[Re-posted from -hardware, perhaps someone here has some insight]

I have an Intel blade server (just OEM'd IBM Bladecenter) with SBXL52
blades running FreeBSD 5.2.1. The story under 5.2.1 was that either the
keyboard would be active or the network would be  active but not both
at the same time (if I booted with ACPI disabled the keyboard worked
but not network, booting with ACPI got the network back but no
keyboard). To install I had to do a scripted sysinstall over PXE boot
which worked.

Now I'd like to run FreeBSD 5.3, I got it to install as an upgrade of
5.2.1, when I boot up with ACPI enabled I can access the keyboard and
the network interfaces appear in ifconfig but will not respond to any
traffic. If I boot with ACPI disabled I can use the keyboard but the
network interfaces will not appear in an ifconfig.

Does anyone have any suggestions? It seems like something minor, like I
said the interfaces come up I can ping them from the blade itself but
not from outside it (nor can the blade ping out). These are the built
in bge interfaces.

Thanks,
Paul