HEADS UP: MFC of local_startup changes to rc.d complete

Jose M Rodriguez josemi at freebsd.jazztel.es
Fri Dec 23 06:18:41 PST 2005

El Miércoles, 21 de Diciembre de 2005 09:23, Doug Barton escribió:
> Howdy,
>
> As has been discussed for a couple weeks now, I have MFC'ed to
> RELENG_6 the changes in /etc/rc* that bring new-style boot scripts
> from the local_startup directories (by default /usr/local/etc/rc.d
> and /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d) into the base rcorder. For old style scripts
> (those that don't use rc.subr) there should be no changes. They will
> still run out of /etc/rc.d/localpkg. For those scripts that have been
> converted to use rc.subr, they will still be run the same way that
> they are now. The difference is that they will be added to the base
> rcorder list, and run in that spot instead of in localpkg. To get an
> idea of the current list (minus any local scripts) in RELENG_6, see
> http://people.freebsd.org/~dougb/rcorder-6.all
>
> In an ideal world, there should be no problems related to running the
> scripts in a different order. However, it is anticipated that there
> may be a brief period while scripts for whom the ordering is
> significant are adjusted. These are extremely easy changes to make,
> and do not otherwise affect the functionality of the packages in any
> way. If you run into one of these problems, please report it to the
> port's maintainer, and freebsd-port at freebsd.org ASAP. In almost all
> cases however the scripts will run close enough to their old position
> as not to make any difference, since currently localpkg is fairly
> late in the order.
>
> This change is being made so that port authors and users can take
> advantage of the greater control these features will give them. Some
> authors have already stepped forward and added new functionality to
> their ports that take advantage of these features. If anyone has
> questions about the changes, or what they offer you, feel free to ask
> on freebsd-rc at freebsd.org. You can also find more information in
> rc(8) on an updated system.
>

> Happy Holidays,
>
> Doug

I'm not sure this is the way to go, but ...

Can someone put a document on what is the desired model?  I think we
have too much little pieces of disperse notes about this.

Also, some working notes about ports and RELENG_4/RELENG_5 src issues
will be of interest.

Hope this can be tweak in time for 6.1 (Jan).

--
  josemi