Sysinstall automatic filesystem size generation.

Jon Dama jd at ugcs.caltech.edu
Tue Aug 30 00:54:19 GMT 2005

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005, Mark Kirkwood wrote:

> (FWIW - I have seen Linux + ext3 systems destroyed by power failure
> because the admins refused to disable write caching on ATA drives -
> Neither journelling or softupdates is much help if the HW is kidding you
> about write acknowledgment).

This would certainly be case with 2.4 kernels and early 2.6 kernels.

Afaik, they only made a decent attempt at solving this problem relatively
recently.

Ironically, phk backed out the underlying support for this safety fix
 from the FreeBSD kernel b.c. it wasn't integrated into the softupdates
code

whereas in reality the proper course of action would have been to hook it
in.  :-/