Install from USB flash drive? Sort of...

Brandon Fosdick bfoz at bfoz.net
Sun Aug 28 22:15:08 GMT 2005

Oliver Fromme wrote:
> It depends on the FreeBSD version.  Older versions mounted
> it on /dist, if I remember correctly, but newer ones mount
> it directly on /.

I just tried booting to the flash with a cdrom installed so I could run the fixit shell. Apparently the cdrom is mounted on /dist and the flash isn't mounted at all. So either sysinstall isn't recognizing the flash as installation media or its favoring the cd when its present.
How can I tell which is happening?
How do I get it to mount the flash automatically?

I also tried using the fixit shell to mount the flash to /mnt but that didn't work either. However, I can install from cd after booting to flash, but that defeats the purpose. And since the crazy bios on my motherboard renumbers the ata devices I end up with a useless etc/fstab after removing the cd-rom drive.

I love the way sysinstall congratulates me for installing FreeBSD after it fails to find the installation media. Its just so friendly. :P