Xorg monopolizes CPU after switching away with KVM

darren david darren at 3x3x3.org
Sat Aug 27 20:37:01 GMT 2005

darren david wrote:
> Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
>
>> Darren David wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all-
>>>

>>> So I've just encountered a new issue ( for me ) with Xorg, and i'm
>>> having a heck of a time tracking down the source and/or the actual
>>> nature of the issue. When i switch to another computer using my KVM,
>>> Xorg immediately begins to monopolize the CPU, heading up to 95%
>>> utilization. When i switch back to my machine, my USB keyboard works,
>>> but by USB mouse is unfunctioning. I have to force quit Xorg and
>>> restart to restore peace to the land.
>>>
>>> Now, this didn't exist on 5.3. I'm running FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE, and
>>> xorg-6.8.2 and gnome2-2.10.1 from ports. I get no info in the logs
>>> either. I've searched the archives on this, but it's difficult to
>>> figure out exactly /what/ to search on to match this problem. No love
>>> on the xorg list either.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> darren david
>>

>> It sounds like the symptoms I had when I tried to run an nvidia card
>> on my Tyan motherboard with the nvidia drivers.  (And I waited for
>> hours to see if it would stop.)  I bet that it is something that the
>> video card is doing, maybe it is trying probe your CRT to see what
>> kind it is, or something like that.
>>
>> (This is all pure speculation on my part, so I don't know.)
>>

> interesting! i too am running an nvidia card on my tyan mobo. i think i
> will try using the onboard video and see if that fixes it, i don't
> /need/ the nvidia card for what i'm doing. thanks for the idea, i'll be
> sure to follow up.
>
> best,
> darren

no luck! i yanked the nvidia card, the drivers and made sure the nvidia
kernel module wasn't being loaded at startup. i'm back to running off
the onboard video on the Tyan ( 8MB ATI Rage XL ) and the problem still
persists ( see above ). Anyone else seeing anything similar, or might be
able to point me down a different path?

thanks,
darren