Circles with libcrypt.so.3

fbsd fbsd at sefao.com
Fri Aug 26 21:11:01 GMT 2005

Hello,

I am trying to install Apache+Mod_ssl via the package apache+mod_ssl-1.3.33+2.8.22_1.tbz on a base 5.4 install, I installed in the following order:
libtool-1.5.18.tbz
expat-1.95.8_3.tbz
mm-1.3.1.tgz
rc_subr-1.31_1.tbz
apache+ssl-1.3.33.1.55_1.tbz

All installed with pkg_add with no issues.  Then I tried to start Apache, it complained as follows:
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared Object "libcrypt.so.3" not found, required by Apache.

There is no "libcrypt.so.3" file on any of my FreeBSD 5.4 systems nor on the CDROM..?

OK, so I checked and it seems that OpenSSL requires perl5.8.7, now there are many suggestions on how to remove the default perl5.8.6, including using the package portupgrade, but it too requires perl5.8.7...

So since this is not a production machine yet I try pkg_delete -f perl5.8.6, it does not see the package. So finally I use pkg_add -f perl5.8.7.  It complains that I am missing (so far) via /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared Object:
libcrypt.so.3 (as well)
libutil.so.5
libthread.so.2
not found, required by perl5.8.7...

What am I missing?  I would prefer not to start over. From the 5.4 install, should I just install Apache and Mod_SSL from source? Would I run into the same issues?

Thank you,
Sejo